How to Use Numbing Cream Before Getting a Tattoo?
Tattoo art has been around for years and people have different visions about the pain it results. Nowadays, anesthetic numbing creams are being used for diminishing pain during the tattooing process, while you will also see artists who refuse to work with them. Numbing creams are effective if used under the supervision of a professional, but if not used properly, numbing creams can result in unfavorable consequences.
Everyone getting a tattoo should use numbing creams wisely and it is better to use them only in sensitive areas for lessening pain. Some tattoo artists do not recommended it, but if you have made up your mind, try the following steps to ensure good results and avoid any side effects.
How to apply numbing cream correctly
- Choose the best numbing cream: There are a number of anesthetic numbing creams available in the market. You will see lidocaine-based creams, which are thought to be best for lowering pain, while other creams comprising epinephrine and additional numbing agents can also be used. According to the type and place of tattoo, you can select the correct numbing cream that doesn’t make the skin slippery and lasts longer.
- Cleanse the skin: After you have chosen the right numbing cream, wash the area you are tattooing with a soap thoroughly to remove the dead skin and oil. It also keeps the skin pH neutral to enhance the effectiveness of a numbing cream.
- Apply the numbing cream: Just after the skin dries, wear gloves and start applying a thick layer of numbing cream over the skin. It will take about 15-30 minutes for numbing the skin. It is good to keep in mind that the numbing effect do not stay for long and its effectiveness also depends on the type of skin and numbing agent.
- Cover the skin: Now, cover the skin with a saran or a perforated cloth to maximize the efficiency of the numbing cream. Also remember to wash the numbing cream before one hour to avoid any long term effects on skin and tattoo.
- Wash: Once the skin area is numb, wash it with a damped cloth and start the tattooing process.
Numbing creams are effective in several cases, yet they are not recommended by many tattoo artists for the simple reason that they affect the quality of the tattoo. While getting a tattoo over sensitive areas, numbing creams are great to soothe the tattooing process and help you bear the pain. Numbing creams do not soothe the pain completely, but make the pain tolerable, which is anyhow better than crying in excruciating pain. Pain-cautious people striving to get a tattoo may consult their tattoo artist for best and safe usage of numbing cream, else be prepared to face some serious problems.
I want to share my experience with using Dr.numb. I tried nearly every other product when I got my tattoo work done and nothing, I mean absolutely nothing worked like Dr. Numbs cream. it honestly is the best on the market and I want to thank Dr.numb for having a solution to the pain. Thanks Dr. Numb!
I love this cream it works wonders. I was able to lay of the table while he worked on my tattoo for about 2 hours before I needed a break for a smoke. Great product!!
Wonderful for tattoos! Really helps with longer sessions. Applied thick and can't feel a thing. Would definitely recommend!
This is the 3rd time I have purchased this cream I like it a lot it does work just wrap the are for 30 minutes and done you won't feel a thing I have 3 big tattoos and I felt no pain using it
This stuff really does work and is well worth the $$. FYI, the longer you leave it on before a tattoo, the longer it lasts!!