Reducing Immunization Pain For Kid
The moment the child is born he is given a lot of vaccination doses in order to strengthen his immunity and protect from serious illness and diseases. But vaccination process in fact a painful process especially for infants.
Although we cannot avoid the immunization just because of few seconds of pain but we can of course look for alternative ways to reduce pain. The following article is about ways to reduce pain for your child during immunization.
Read on to know the pain reducing tips for children of various ages.
Tips for Infants
• Breastfeeding your baby five minutes before the injection, during and even after the vaccination can help to alleviate pain to a great extent.
• Holding the baby close to your body, in a front-to-front position with both legs exposed can give them comfort and reduce their pain.
• You can give few drops of sugar solution if your baby is of 12 months or less and is not breastfed. You can put few drops on the tip of his tongue one minute before the injection and also just before the vaccination. This will help in providing few minutes of pain relief during vaccination.
• You can buy a pre-mixed sugar solution from a pharmacy store otherwise, prepare it at home by mixing one teaspoon of sugar with two teaspoons of water. Do not use honey.
• Don’t use sugar water at home to calm a crying baby; it can only lead to tooth decay.
• After the vaccination is over, give the baby sips of water in order to clean his mouth.
Tips for Toddlers and Older Children
Mentally preparing the child
It is must to prepare your toddlers or little older children to prepare before visiting the doctor.
• Children under 4 years of age should be prepared just before the injection whereas older children should be prepared a day before.
• You should explain how the vaccination will feel. (E.g. like a pinch)
• Tell them the techniques to lessen the pain- sitting still, taking deep breaths and keeping the arm relaxed.
• Draw your child’s attention away from the needle. This is one of the best ways that you can help your child.
Distracting His Attention
‘• The best thing you can do make them feel comfortable during vaccination is by distracting them from the needle.
• You can carry your child’s favorite toy, book along or draw his attention towards any music, or by telling him a joke or a story.
• Blowing bubbles can also distract your child.
Position Your Child In An Upright Position
A comfortable position during the vaccination can also reduce pain for your child. You can hold your toddler in a comforting hug, sitting upright on your lap instead of making them lie down or holding too tightly.
In case your child continues to move, then ask your healthcare provider about the proper hold technique in which the vaccination can be safely given to the child.
Tips for Teens
Teens are easy to handle as you can communicate and explain them about the vaccination process. You can engage him in distractive activities such as a conversation, listening to music with earphones, playing games or messaging on a cell phone.
But in case your child or teen is too fearful, you can ask the doctor to use numbing creams that can numb the part of the skin where the vaccination has to be given.
Dr Numb is one of the most popular numbing creams which are known for its effective and safe numbing effects. It is available as an over-the-counter cream and can be used for cutting off pain during vaccination.
I want to share my experience with using Dr.numb. I tried nearly every other product when I got my tattoo work done and nothing, I mean absolutely nothing worked like Dr. Numbs cream. it honestly is the best on the market and I want to thank Dr.numb for having a solution to the pain. Thanks Dr. Numb!
I love this cream it works wonders. I was able to lay of the table while he worked on my tattoo for about 2 hours before I needed a break for a smoke. Great product!!
Wonderful for tattoos! Really helps with longer sessions. Applied thick and can't feel a thing. Would definitely recommend!
This is the 3rd time I have purchased this cream I like it a lot it does work just wrap the are for 30 minutes and done you won't feel a thing I have 3 big tattoos and I felt no pain using it
This stuff really does work and is well worth the $$. FYI, the longer you leave it on before a tattoo, the longer it lasts!!