Pruritus Ani: Causes, Treatment and Quick Relief Remedy
Pruritus ani is a persistent itching at the exit of the rectum known as anus. A person is likely to scratch the affected part of the skin. Pruritus ani is caused by pressure, moisture, rubbing from clothing and sitting. The condition becomes even painful with burning sensation and soreness. It affects daily life and self-esteem, especially if you are in a social setting. Did you know? Pruritus ani affects 5% population in the USA. Men are more likely to have pruritus ani than women. The commonly affected age group is 40-60, though it affects people of any age, including kids.
Image Credits : Pinterest.com
Causes of Pruritus Ani:
Pruritus ani with explained reasons is identified as “secondary pruritus ani”. Sometime, the cause is not found; thereby the condition is classified as “idiopathic pruritus ani”.
- The major causes of the anal irritation are intestinal parasites, anal perspiration, frequent liquid stools, diarrhea, and residual stool deposits. Sometime it is associated with yeast infection or candidiasis, which can be triggered by diabetes, HIV infection or mellitus.
- Use of antibiotics leads to disturbance in the natural balance of intestinal flora, leading to perianal thrush, which is a yeast infection affecting the anus. Psoriasis also affects anal area and triggers irritation.
- Other problems that lead to anal itching are pinworms, hemorrhoids, tears of the anal skin near the fissures and skin tags.
- Many skin conditions affect the area around the anus and cause itching. For example, eczema, psoriasis, lichen sclerosus, lichen planus and seborrhoeic dermatitis.
- Having excessive sweat and moisture around the anus. Young kids who may not wipe themselves properly.
- Some soap, creams, ointments or the dye in some toilet tissue may irritate the skin around the anus. One or more ingredients in these products may cause allergy.
What to Do If You Have an Itchy Bottom?
It is not easy to tell if you have a pruritus ani in case of itchy rectum. It is better to see your doctor if the itching turns worse. A physician will check and examine the area to figure out the root cause on the basis of symptoms, lesions, fistulas and integrity of the perianal skin. The assessment methods may also include digital rectal examination and anoscopy.
What is the Treatment for Pruritus Ani?
If a physician found the cause, he or she will recommend the treatment accordingly. For example,
- Steroid cream is prescribed in case of eczema (dermatitis) around the anus.
- Antifungal cream is recommended in case of fungal infections and thrush.
- Antibiotics can be useful in case of infection.
Precautions for Pruritus Ani:
- Avoid using scented soaps, talcum powder, bubble bath and perfume near the anus region.
- Prefer plan and non-colored tissue. Wipe yourself gently after passing stools.
- Avoid taking foods and drinks like fruits, spices and tomatoes as they are likely to irritate the skin as you pass the stool.
- Be careful about the hygiene of the area around your anus. Make sure to keep it free off remnant of feces, which may irritate the skin. Besides, wash your anus at bedtime.
- Use water only to wash the area around your anus. If you use soap, use a non-scented soap. Rinse your anus well after using the soap.
- After washing, dry you anus properly by patting gently with a soft towel. Or you can use a hairdryer in case of hairy anal skin.
- Don’t wear underwear until your anus is fully dry.
- Avoid wearing tight fitting trousers and underwear.
- Avoid sitting for long periods.
- If you sweat a lot, put a cotton tissue or sweating pad in your underwear to absorb the moisture.
- Don’t scratch too much. If you can’t resist that urge, keep your fingernails short to minimize any damage done to the skin by scratching.
- Wear cotton gloves.
- Take antihistamine medicine that not only minimizes the itching, but also makes your drowsy. So, consider it at bedtime.
Numbing Cream is a Quick Pain Relieving Remedy for Pruritus Ani:
Sometime discomfort or pain in pruritus ani is so intense that you look for a quick relief remedy. You can use cold compress for a temporary relief. However, numbing cream is an unconventional remedy in this direction. It is a topical anesthetic that dulls the skin patch for an hour or two; thereby you don’t feel anything happening to your skin.
In fact, many physicians prescribe lidocaine rectal cream to ease pain, soreness and discomfort due to pruritus ani, hemorrhoids, anal fissures, and similar conditions of the skin and mucous membranes.
How Does a Numbing Cream Work?
Numbing cream desensitizes the skin only. It contains numbing agents like lidocaine or benzocaine which dulls the pain receptors, which send signals to the brain.
How to Use Numbing Cream for Pruritus Ani?
- Clean the affected part with mild soap and warm water and rinse thoroughly.
- Dry by using toilet tissue or soft cloth before applying the product.
- Apply numbing cream gently on the affected area.
- Do not cover the area.
Precautions While Using Numbing Cream for Pruritus Ani…
- Consult your doctor if you have any health condition relating to heart, kidney and liver.
- Don’t use the cream if you are allergic to lidocaine or other numbing agents
- Ask your doctor if the cream interacts with your medications including your scabies medications and drugs you are taking for other diseases
- Don’t use numbing cream if you are allergic to lidocaine or any other medicines.
- Consult a doctor before using numbing cream on the kids under 12 years of age.
- It is for external use only.
Looking for a reliable numbing cream for pruritus ani? If so, look no further than Dr. Numb. Dr. Numb is a safe and effective numbing cream for a range of dermal processes. You can use it for rectal disorders causing pain and intense itching. It contains 5% lidocaine and keeps your skin numb for couple of hours.
I want to share my experience with using Dr.numb. I tried nearly every other product when I got my tattoo work done and nothing, I mean absolutely nothing worked like Dr. Numbs cream. it honestly is the best on the market and I want to thank Dr.numb for having a solution to the pain. Thanks Dr. Numb!
I love this cream it works wonders. I was able to lay of the table while he worked on my tattoo for about 2 hours before I needed a break for a smoke. Great product!!
Wonderful for tattoos! Really helps with longer sessions. Applied thick and can't feel a thing. Would definitely recommend!
This is the 3rd time I have purchased this cream I like it a lot it does work just wrap the are for 30 minutes and done you won't feel a thing I have 3 big tattoos and I felt no pain using it
This stuff really does work and is well worth the $$. FYI, the longer you leave it on before a tattoo, the longer it lasts!!