All You Need To Know About Vaginal Yeast Infection (And How To Treat It)!
Medically, vaginal yeast infections occur when there is imbalance between the good and bad bacteria in the body. But there is a lot more you need to know about this problem which causes discomfort. Read on to know the causes, signs, and ways to keep this infection at bay.
Image Credits : Pinterest.com
Are you dealing with the itching and excessive vaginal discharge? Is it becoming too irritating?
Don’t overlook the problem as you might be a having a vaginal yeast infection. Do you know 75% of females report having had an infection of this type at one point in their lifetime? Basically, yeast infection is a fungal infection caused by the fungus Candida albicans a type of yeast which normally lives in the human skin. It is also called as Candida infection and can spread to those areas of the body which are generally moist and warm. This means if you fail to maintain the natural balance of the body, simply you are making it favorable for the fungus to grow rapidly.
What Causes a Vaginal Yeast Infection?
There is a mixture of bacteria and yeasts (including candida) present in your vagina. Now there is a proper ratio of these bacteria and yeasts in which these need to exist together to maintain a proper balance in the body. And when they become unbalanced, it leads to sever problems.
Now, there are many reasons for this imbalance. Some of them are:
- Antibiotic Use: For those who are taking broad-spectrum antibiotics need to know that these not only get rid of bad bacteria causing infection, but also kill off the good bacteria. It is something which your vagina needs to be healthy and decrease in the same becomes a reason for an overgrowth of yeast.
- High Blood Sugar Levels: If you have poorly controlled blood sugar rate, this can create an optimum environment for yeasts. It is the major reason why women with uncontrolled diabetes are at higher risk of vaginal yeast infections.
- Pregnancy: During pregnancy the levels of estrogen increases in your body. It is this change in hormone levels which can change the bacteria-yeast balance to change. Hence, causing yeast infection.
- Oral Contraceptives: Are you taking some high-estrogen dose birth control pills or hormone therapies? Then there are chances that it will also increase the amount of estrogen in your body. These contraceptives can affect the balance of bacteria and yeasts in the reproductive area.
- Weaker Immune System: An impaired immune system is always at a greater risk of developing yeast infections. Therefore, it is most commonly found in those with HIV.
What Are The Symptoms Of Vaginal Yeast Infections?
When it comes to the signs of this kind of infection, these are quite easy to identify. Generally, these include;
- Itching on the vagina
- Burning sensation when passing urine
- Vaginal swelling
- Pain when engaging in sexual activity
- Redness of the vagina
- Cottage cheese vaginal discharge
So, if you have recently identified these, you shouldn’t delay the treatment process. A delay in the treatment can make the problem more severe. And severe cases of this infection are not only painful but harder to treat.
How to Treat Vaginal Yeast infections?
Here are mentioned six easy and effective home remedies which can successfully help you treat vaginal yeast infections. Plus, these will simultaneously help preventing a recurrence.
Keep Your Lady Bits Dry and Clean
As stated above, yeast thrives in moist areas, it is always advised to practice good hygiene and keep your privates dry and clean. For this, you must ensure that you wash your genitals using a neutral, fragrance-free soap every day. Don’t forget to dry off that region post-showering.
You can also reduce the risk of spreading germs in the bathroom by always wiping front to back, i.e., vagina to anus. Ensure that you are wearing clean underwear always, and prefer cotton or some other breathable fabric. This allows air to make contact with your genitals and prevent warmth and moisture developing in that region.
Get Hormonal Checkup
There are medical conditions like type II diabetes or high estrogen or progesterone levels that make you more susceptible to such infections. Thus, to prevent the exacerbation of your current infection, it is must to keep an eye on hormonal changes. Also, if you wish to prevent a reoccurrence, ensure that you keep blood sugar and hormone levels under control.
Try Essential Oils And Supplements
There are a number of essential oils and supplements which you can count for arresting yeast growth. Some of the examples are listed below:
- You can use apple cider vinegar to help balance natural pH levels.
- Probiotic supplements can be used to replenish good bacteria that suppress yeast growth.
- To cleanse your liver from the damage caused by toxic medications and birth control pill hormones, consider milk thistle and elderberry.
- For boosting your immunity, antioxidants, including vitamin C can be taken.
- When it comes to getting rid of yeast, essential oils like lavender and tea tree oil are gentle to apply. Just mix several drops of any of these with coconut oil.
Be Careful For Allergies
Your skin might be sensitive to certain allergies which can be due to usage of some soaps, or other hygiene products like douches, bath oils, tampons, or spermicidal gels. Actually, it is the presence of chemicals in these products which can cause irritation to the sensitive genital area. And these have a negative impact on the bacteria balance in your vagina.
You can consider replacing such products with a natural alternative. Steer clear of products which produce vaginal irritation, including chemical dyes, fragrances, and harsh ingredients.
Boost Your Immunity
Certainly, women with weakened immune system are at the greater risk of recurrent yeast infections. Especially, those suffering from autoimmune disorders, cancer, or diabetes, are more prone to this infection. Hence, it is important to enhance your immune system. It can be done by consuming a nutrient-rich diet. You diet need consist of foods which are high in healthy fats such as vegetables and quality protein.
Secondly, you can count on probiotic foods which contain bacteria like acidophilus or lactobacillus. These have been proven to be highly beneficial in fighting yeast infections. For those who wish to compete to survive with harmful pathogens, this is must have.
Follow these and stay healthy!
I want to share my experience with using Dr.numb. I tried nearly every other product when I got my tattoo work done and nothing, I mean absolutely nothing worked like Dr. Numbs cream. it honestly is the best on the market and I want to thank Dr.numb for having a solution to the pain. Thanks Dr. Numb!
I love this cream it works wonders. I was able to lay of the table while he worked on my tattoo for about 2 hours before I needed a break for a smoke. Great product!!
Wonderful for tattoos! Really helps with longer sessions. Applied thick and can't feel a thing. Would definitely recommend!
This is the 3rd time I have purchased this cream I like it a lot it does work just wrap the are for 30 minutes and done you won't feel a thing I have 3 big tattoos and I felt no pain using it
This stuff really does work and is well worth the $$. FYI, the longer you leave it on before a tattoo, the longer it lasts!!