Ear Piercing Aftercare: Do’s and Don’ts
Getting ear piercing is exciting. But you should not forget the aftercare and precaution after getting it.
Ear piercing is the common type of piercing and is popular among both sexes. Keeping your ear piercing clean is essential as it is prone to the infection and swelling. If you don’t do it, your excitement of having ear piercing will be ruined. Here are some easy tips to get your ear piercing clean at home.
Disinfectant Your Hands:
First and foremost, you need to wash your hands with antibacterial soap, so that the germs and bacteria on them are killed. If you don’t, chances are the germs presenting on your hands will be passed on to your ears.
After washing your hands with antibacterial soap, pat them dry and rub briskly hand sanitizer.
Use Cleaning Solution:
- Take a cotton ball and cleaning solution which may be isopropyl alcohol or sea salt solution. You can ask your professional for saline solution or you can make it at home. Mix ¼ tbsp. of iodine free salt into one cup of warm water.
- Now dip the cotton ball and swab in the alcohol or cleaning solution.
- Dab it gently around the area of the piercing. Now take new cotton ball to apply solution on the other side of the ear. Repeat the method once or more daily.
- Try to apply in a way so that the solution enters in the piercing, not just around it.
- However, using the spray saline solution is best which is available at any drug store.
Note: Avoid using the cleaning solutions like hydrogen peroxide, alcohol or harsh soaps as they not only irritate the skin but can damage your cells. Using thick lotion can cut the air supply to the pierced area, making the infection worse.
Don’t Remove Your Earrings:
You must not remove your earring at least for six months, as doing this may close the hole due to healing of the body.
For better healing, you should avoid sleeping on the side of your piercing as the ear part may be pressurized under your head, making it painful. Try to sleep on your back. If your ears are fully healed, you can remove your earring while sleeping.
Clean Your Earring With Rubbing Alcohol:
After the healing period is over, you can remove your earring for cleaning. Use a cotton ball to clean them with rubbing alcohol. Doing this regularly will keep it germs free while minimizing the chance of infection.
Follow the Piercing Precautions:
- Avoid touching the jewelry with dirty hands and friction from clothing
- Minimize the use of caffeine, nicotine and alcohol
- Avoid swimming and bathing in lakes or pools
- Don’t apply the personal care products around the piercing
- Avoid oral contact, play and fluids dripping on your piercing
So, these are the ear piercing aftercare tips you must follow for better healing. If you notice redness, swelling or discharging of pus, you must contact your dermatologist as these are the signs of infections.
I want to share my experience with using Dr.numb. I tried nearly every other product when I got my tattoo work done and nothing, I mean absolutely nothing worked like Dr. Numbs cream. it honestly is the best on the market and I want to thank Dr.numb for having a solution to the pain. Thanks Dr. Numb!
I love this cream it works wonders. I was able to lay of the table while he worked on my tattoo for about 2 hours before I needed a break for a smoke. Great product!!
Wonderful for tattoos! Really helps with longer sessions. Applied thick and can't feel a thing. Would definitely recommend!
This is the 3rd time I have purchased this cream I like it a lot it does work just wrap the are for 30 minutes and done you won't feel a thing I have 3 big tattoos and I felt no pain using it
This stuff really does work and is well worth the $$. FYI, the longer you leave it on before a tattoo, the longer it lasts!!