6 Major Types Of Hernia You Need To Know!
Basically, it is the weakening of muscles of the abdominal wall which causes hernia. This painful disease can happen to anyone, regardless of their age and gender. Yes, children and adults, men and women, all have been found suffering from hernia. Let’s check out the different types here.
Image Courtesy: Stefantuca.ro
Hernia is referred to the penetration of the internal organs through the surrounding protective muscle walls. It is said to happen when a part of the body cavity bulges out of the area. Mostly, it occurs in the intestine or abdominal fatty tissue. While some hernias might not produce any symptoms, but they all carry some or the other kind of risk. Often, the blood supply to a herniated space is cut off, and thus immediate hernia repair is needed. When compared to women, it is five times more common among men. Moreover, around 95% of them suffer from ‘inguinal’ hernias.
Well, hernias can be painful or painless, and not to forget it can be dangerous too (in some cases). Thus, it is highly important to learn about the various types of hernias. You will get a clear idea for when and why you need to consider hernia surgery. Let’s start;
- Umbilical hernia: Have you noticed protrusion of the belly button? Yes, it is umbilical hernia, which accounts for between 10 and 30 percent of all hernias. It is said to occur due to an opening in the abdominal wall. When the opening is large, surgery becomes necessary and even after the opening closes; this area becomes weak and is more susceptible to problems.
- Inguinal hernia: Yes, it is the most common type of hernia. It accounts for more than 75 percent of all the abdominal wall hernia cases. And among it, 25 percent are more likely to occur in the case of men.
Further, it can be classified into two different kinds, direct and indirect. Both of them impact the groin area, i.e. the skin of the thigh joining the torso. In case of indirect hernias, it can occur at any age. However, direct hernias are common among the middle age and elderly men.
- Femoral hernia: The hernia which occurs in femoral canal is termed as femoral hernia. This canal serves as a path through which the femoral vein, nerve, and artery leave the abdominal cavity. It joins your thighs from this canal. In this case, it becomes enlarged and the abdominal contents protrude into this canal. It is common among women and with a major drawback that it is not possible to push it back.
- Obsturator hernia: Although, it is very rare kind of hernia, yet it can be found in women. Actually, it protrudes from the pelvic cavity. And what makes it different is that obsturator will not appear as a bulge. In fact, it will act as bowel obstruction, and leads to problems such as nausea and vomiting.
- Epigastric hernia: If it occur between lower part of the rib cage and naval, it is surely epigastric. Basically made of fatty tissue, it does not contain any intestinal matter and is formed in an area of relative weakness of the abdominal wall. The good thing is that it is painless.
- Inscisional hernia: Once you undergo abdominal surgery, there are chances of developing hernia in the weak areas. Yes, you read it right. In two to ten percent cases of all the abdominal surgeries, the sufferer is said to develop hernia, which is called inscisional.
So, there are several kinds of hernias. While some of them are more prevalent in women, on the other hand there are few which happens more to men. In case, you find that you have any of these, it is right time to see your doctor. And once he confirms, fix an appointment with a hernia surgeon immediately before it becomes more dangerous.
I want to share my experience with using Dr.numb. I tried nearly every other product when I got my tattoo work done and nothing, I mean absolutely nothing worked like Dr. Numbs cream. it honestly is the best on the market and I want to thank Dr.numb for having a solution to the pain. Thanks Dr. Numb!
I love this cream it works wonders. I was able to lay of the table while he worked on my tattoo for about 2 hours before I needed a break for a smoke. Great product!!
Wonderful for tattoos! Really helps with longer sessions. Applied thick and can't feel a thing. Would definitely recommend!
This is the 3rd time I have purchased this cream I like it a lot it does work just wrap the are for 30 minutes and done you won't feel a thing I have 3 big tattoos and I felt no pain using it
This stuff really does work and is well worth the $$. FYI, the longer you leave it on before a tattoo, the longer it lasts!!